Did you know there are eight — yes, eight — different Ontario notice of eviction forms? While nobody likes dealing with evictions, not all evictions are created equal. Sometimes a landlord needs to evict a tenant for their own personal use or for much needed renovations to the rental property. To help you know which form a landlord should use for each unique situation, here is your guide to Eviction Notice Ontario Forms.

N4: Notice to End your Tenancy Early for Non-payment of Rent

A landlord would use an N4 Form if their tenant has not paid their rent on time. If their rent was due on the first of the month, for example, a landlord is permitted to serve them the N4 as early as the second of the month.

N5: Notice to End your Tenancy for Interfering with Others, Damage or Overcrowding

There are three reasons when a landlord may need to serve an N5 form:

  1. If a tenant or a guest of a tenant substantially interfered with another tenant in the residential complex or the landlord and their “reasonable enjoyment” of the property.
  2. If a tenant or a guest of their tenant caused significant or negligent damage to the property.
  3. There are more people living in the rental unit than is permitted by health, safety and property standards.

N6: Notice to End your Tenancy for Illegal Acts or Misrepresenting Income in a Rent-Geared-to-Income Rental Unit

There are two instances when a landlord may use an N6 Form to evict their tenant(s):

  1. The tenant has committed an illegal act or illegal business within the rental unit.
  2. The tenant has misrepresented their income in order to live in a rent-geared-to-income housing.

N7: Notice to End your Tenancy for Causing Serious Problems in the Rental Unit or Residential Complex

There are two reasons when a landlord may use an N7 Form:

  1. If a tenant or a guest of a tenant seriously impaired the safety of another person inside the residential complex.
  2. If a tenant or a guest of a tenant wilfully damaged the property, either inside the rental unit or the residential complex. The landlord will need to prove that the damage was done wilfully. If not, they’ll need to use an N5 Form.

N8: Notice to End your Tenancy at the End of the Term

There are a variety of reasons why a landlord may need to serve their tenant an N8 Form which is to end tenancy at the end of the term:

  1. The tenant has persistently been late with their rent payments.
  2. The tenant no longer qualifies for the subsidized housing affiliated with the rental unit.
  3. The tenant was renting the unit as a condition of their employment and their employment has ended.
  4. The tenancy was created in good faith as a result of an Agreement of Purchase and Sale for a pre-construction condo unit and the agreement has been terminated.
  5. The tenant is occupying the unit specifically to receive therapeutic or rehabilitative care and the tenancy period has ended.

N12: Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord, a Purchaser or a Family Member Requires the Rental Unit

In instances where a landlord would like to move themselves or an immediate family member into the rental property, an N12 Form is to be used. Under these circumstances the landlord, a member of their immediate family, or a person who will provide care to either of the former must be planning to live in the unit for at least one year.

In this case of eviction for personal use, the landlord is required to provide N12 compensation to their tenant. This amount must be equal to one month’s rent or the landlord must offer their tenant another rental property that is acceptable to them. Refer here for full instructions for N12 Compensation and rules.

N13: Notice to End your Tenancy Because the Landlord Wants to Demolish the Rental Unit, Repair it or Convert it to Another Use

An N13 Form is used if a landlord is planning to demolish or convert the rental property, or has plans to extensively renovate or repair the rental property and their tenant must vacate in order to do so.

There are lots of stipulations that landlords should know about regarding an N13, most notably, that a landlord is required to offer their tenant the right to move back into the rental unit after the renovations are complete for the exact same rental rate they had been paying prior to the renovations. Read our blog What you need to know about evicting tenants for renovations in Ontario for a more in-depth look at this type of eviction.

N11: Agreement to End the Tenancy

If the tenant and the landlord have mutually agreed to end the tenancy and none of the other aforementioned forms apply, then the N11 Form is to be used.

While we have done our best to summarize the eviction notice forms here, we encourage you to visit the Landlord and Tenant Board Ontario webpage for the full list of these eviction notice forms and how to use them.